Street photography can be extremely fascinating as it provides an insight into the lives of people. It involves capturing precious moments and scenes that are poetic and thought provoking. Here are a few street photography quotes to inspire you.
- “Once you miss it, it is gone forever.”- Henri Cartier-Bresson
Know your gear and don’t carry too much equipment. Street photography can be fast paced sometimes. You need to be quick on your feet to get the perfect shot.
2. “The Pictures are there, and you just take them” – Robert Capa
Try to capture the essence of life on the streets. Don’t just capture touristy shots. Look for interesting subjects and be adventurous to get behind the scenes.
3. “If I saw something in my viewfinder that looked familiar to me, I would do something to shake it up.” – Garry Winogrand
Don’t just shoot images at the eye level. Get down low or climb or shoot from above. You can even try getting shots from a moving vehicle. Try different perspectives to capture bold images.
4. “Taking an image, freezing a moment, reveals how rich reality truly is.” – Anonymous
Try to freeze motion. They make for very interesting street photographs. Use fast shutter speed to freeze a moving vehicle for example. A fun way to go about this would be to use slower shutter speed to blur the movement.
5. “If Your Pictures Aren’t Good Enough, You’re Not Close Enough” – Robert Capa
Don’t hesitate to get close to the subject. Close-ups can be extremely powerful photographs that evoke emotions and provoke thoughts.
6. “Most of my photos are grounded in people, I look for the unguarded moment, the essential soul peeking out, experience etched on a persons face.” Steve McCurry
Study your subjects closely. Observe their body language and mannerisms. This lets you anticipate picture perfect moments before they happen. Watch people and wait for a moment to occur. Blend in with your surroundings and become invisible.
7. “I have the great privilege of being both witness and storyteller. Intimacy, trust and intuition guide my work.” – Jim Goldberg
A picture is worth a thousand words. Try to tell a compelling story through your photograph. Street photography is very spontaneous, so keep your eyes and ears open to capture a visually stimulating story.
8. “No great artist ever sees things as they really are. If he did, he would cease to be an artist.” – Oscar Wilde
Get as creative as you possibly can with street photography. Challenge the norm and capture moments that surprise your viewers. Try different shots with and without people in the frame. The opportunities are limitless.
9. “Not all street photography needs to be super emotional. Some street photographs are purely visual images…” – Eric Kim
You don’t always need to have people as your subject when it comes to street photography. You can divert your focus towards capturing interesting lines, patterns or textures. You can create your own signature style by shifting your focus towards interesting objects.
10. “My life is shaped by the urgent need to wander and observe, and my camera is my passport.” – Steve McCurry
Visit a street multiple times before you start photographing. Study what is interesting on the particular street, study the lighting and look for spots from where you can shoot at interesting angles. Choose places with maximum interaction between people to get interesting shots.